Friday, July 6, 2007

Christmas in July

This coming Monday my hubby and I are leaving for the Netherlands for two weeks (I was born and raised there and my entire family still loves there) to celebrate my birthday and to spend some time with my mom, especially. My dad passed away this past January, and the year has been challenging so far, to say the least. But I am looking forward to this time, even though it will be bittersweet and not always easy. (I will be taking my laptop, so I'll keep up with the fast :))

Right now, I am trying to get ready to go - the house, the dogs, the cat (our house/pet sitter that we had lined up fell through yesterday) and an event that I am putting on with our band immediately after I get back: Christmas in July. We're hosting two concerts (July 25 and July 28), one before a Richmond Braves baseball game and one marathon 8-hour concert at a local restaurant that trains people with disabilities for work in the restaurant world (The Positive Vibe Cafe, and we ask everyone attending to bring non-perishable food items to benefit the Central Virginia Foodbank. It's the second year in a row we're doing this, and it's a lot of fun, although slightly insane (98 degrees and singing "Winter wonderland" or "O come all ye faithful" - it can be a funny feeling).

Why am I posting this? Because it turns out that July in many cities and states is the absolutely slowest month for Foodbanks, food pantries, and other organizations/ministries that reach out to people who do not have enough to eat. Summer=vacation, summer=hot weather and we eat less during hot weather so how could anyone else be hungry?, summer=different routine and our usual routines may not work..... And in the midst of all that it is still flabbergasting to me that there are so many people that stll do not have that most basic of human needs: daily bread. The few cans we donate will not solve that. But it has to start somewhere. So..... if you read this, consider making a donation to your local Foodbank, or to an organization like Food for the Hungry, or to any of the organizations highlighted during the 40 day fast, because most if not all work to meet this need in some way, shape, or form. Oh, and if you live anywhere close to Richmond VA - come hang out with us on July 25 and 28 (click here for details).

(And no, this is not an official "40 day fast post". But it fits I think.)

3 comments:

kddub said...

very cool idea! Have a good trip, post some pictures if you can, I'd love to see what the netherlands look like.

Jeanine said...

Thanks Kristin, I will!

euphrony said...

Good thoughts. Have a good trip home and back.